Gold Preferred Supplier Debt Collection Reviews

5 tips for action – Somebody owes me money in the UK

Last modified: January 19, 2024

5 tips for action - Somebody owes me money in the UK Frontline Collections

It can be frustrating when “somebody owes me money”, especially if it’s a significant amount. Whether it’s a friend that owes you money, family member or business associate, you have every right to get your money back. In this post, we’ll look at what you can do when somebody owes you money in the UK.

Try to Resolve It Amicably

The first step is always to try and resolve the issue amicably. This means having an honest conversation with the person who owes you money and trying to come up with a solution that works for both of you. Perhaps they’re going through financial difficulties and need more time to pay you back. Alternatively, they may have forgotten about the debt altogether.

In any case, try to keep the conversation civil and avoid getting angry or confrontational. If necessary, put your agreement in writing so that there are no misunderstandings later on.

Consider Mediation

If you’re unable to resolve the issue on your own, consider using a mediator. A mediator is an independent third party who can help facilitate discussions between two parties and find a mutually beneficial solution.

Many local councils offer free mediation services, so check with your local authority to see what’s available in your area.

Send a Letter Before Action

If all else fails, you may need to take legal action against the person who owes you money. Before doing so, however, it’s important to send them a letter before action.

This letter should outline how much they owe you and give them a deadline by which they must pay. It should also warn them that if they fail to pay by the deadline, legal action will be taken against them.

Seek Debt Collection help

At Frontline Collections, we deal with all types of Personal debt collection in the UK. Whether it is a personal loan to a friend or a customer that has not paid. You can get a free assessment of your problem. If we can help then a low fixed fee recovery process can be offered. This is usually suitable for no contested debts owed.

Small Claims Court

If the debt is disputed then your best option is small claims court. This is where individuals can bring cases against people or businesses for debts up to £10,000 (or £5,000 in Scotland).

To start proceedings in small claims court, fill out an online claim form (or paper form if preferred) and pay a fee based on how much you’re claiming back. The court will then notify the debtor of your claim and arrange for a hearing where both parties present their cases. Be aware that the court process can be expensive and lengthy.

It is also worth noting that if you obtain a CCJ then Frontline Collections are able to assist with ccj debt collection solutions.

Somebody owes me money – Time to Act

Are you owed money? Being owed money can be stressful and frustrating but remember that there are steps you can take to get your money back. If you are thinking somebody owes me money and I want it back, take action. Start by trying to resolve the issue amicably and seek mediation if necessary.

If all else fails then consider taking legal action through sending a letter before action or taking it further through small claims court. Legal action maybe necessary for matters such as unpaid student rent arrears. It is often viewed as a last resort though.

Always remember though that prevention is usually better than cure – when lending someone money make sure everything is documented properly beforehand! Somebody owes me money is a common problem we hear everyday. The only way to remedy the situation is to do something about it. Speak to our Expert team today for help 

Somebody owes me money, what can I do?

A simplified process can get you paid. Do not overthink it and get expert help at the right time.

  1. Send a letter before action giving 7 days in which to pay
  2. If no response then contact us for a FREE assessment of your problem
  3. We will offer suitable solutions to ensure you get paid what you are owed
  4. Proceed with full Debt Collection Action to try to recover what you are owed

It is that simple! Procrastination over the matter will not get you paid.